- Know your target market. When you know your market it will be easier to identify which media you need to target. Be very sensible in your target, understanding that no product ever requires 100 percent control of the market to be successful.
- Distinguish the product benefits relevant to your market. The objective is to sell your product or service to the media so your story will get placement, so show the benefits and the numbers to prove that your product will benefit readers, listeners or viewers.
- Establish your product as unique. It’s important to be able to prove your product is faster, better, cleaner or more cost-effective than your competitors’ product or industry standard. Proven advantages like these will provide the media concrete evidence to feature your product over someone else’s.
- Testimonials. Testimonials are one of the strongest ways to enhance the credibility of your product. If you are able to find someone credible to endorse your product, this could catapult the awareness and create sales
- Establish an online presence. Your online presence is what allows people to find you, interact with you, get to know you and follow you. To quickly establish a strong online presence start blogging. Write short articles about your product or service and offer suggestions and tips and because blogs naturally rank highly in search engines, you’ll quickly become more visible.
Although these tips do not guarantee publication or broadcast success, by following them you’ll increase your chances of success and you’ll also start to build the media relationships you’ll need for the future.
Phyllis Caddell is CEO of Pc Public Relations & Management, Inc. launched in 1995. Today the diverse firm is a prosperous enterprise servicing the entertainment and beauty industries.