When I started in the Gospel Music Industry 14 yrs ago, there were very few “Artist” Distribution deals available. It’s a New Day! This week, Artists, let’s look at the meaning of a Distribution deal and if it’s the perfect fit for you.
- Artists, before signing a Distribution deal, review the functions of a Record Label, you will need this info.
- From my experience, some artists desire distribution deals to maintain creative and financial control over their project. Is this You?
- Now there is nothing wrong with the benefits of maintaining control, just make sure you have a TEAM to push your “Project” forward.
- So, what is a Distribution deal? When a Distributor or Record Label gains the right to sell your product to stores and other retailers.
- There are many types of distribution deals and if this is your goal, please “build” and “brand” your project before presenting.
- This week let’s take a trip to the library or internet and find the difference between a Licensing and Distribution deal.
- I’m not against” “artist” distribution deals, I am an Advocate of True Artist Development. If this is ignored, the deal won’t matter.
- Don’t give up on Record Company Deals, there are great ones out here, do your research, keep developing and of course PRAY!!